Monday, November 16, 2015

Gregorio Cigars The Imperial review

The Imperial
by: Gregorio Cigars
Nice Ash Cigars and Lounge
Depew NY



After reviewing Tatuaje "W" The Whore in which I mentioned the in house roller at Nice Ash Cigars and lounge in Depew NY.  I thought to myself I try and focus my reviews around boutique, small batch, store and catalog cigars.  So it only makes sense that I should put my review out of the smallest batch I know of.  

The Gregorio Line, specifically the Imperial

Wrapper: Ecuadorian Cubano
Binder: Nicaraguan
Filler: Honduran & Nicaraguan

​According to the website:


Flavor profile: The Imperial is medium bodied with great dark and earthy flavors. Full notes of dark chocolate, espresso, spice, caramel, dark fruit
sweetness, rich natural tobacco and nuts can be found throughout. This one is equally suited to be paired with coffee in the morning or as an after dinner smoke with a dram of whiskey.


 I had the pleasure of watching Greg roll my cigars right in front of me and then light one up immediately.  It was great!  The cigar was heavy firm and solid, it smelled fresh and delicious and the rolling was what you would expect from a true premium cigar.  A deliciously dark oily wrapper very few veins, a barely noticeable fresh seam and a perfectly placed triple cap. I couldn't believe some guy from buffalo, NY sitting at a desk just rolled this incredible premium cigar.
Absolutely outstanding! but how would be with some age?


Which brings me to my review of the Imperial,  aged 5 months.
It looks darker, maybe my imagination, it smells amazing I can't wait to light it.  It smells like a spicy candy bar.

It smells so good I almost don't want to light it.
I clip it without issue, toast and light.

It is absolutely everything it's description says it is and everything I got before but intensified. 

Did I really get this cigar from a guy in Buffalo? 
YES, Yes I did!

I lit it stupid so the burn was off, but quickly corrected itself.
The first third is all Earthy dark chocolate/cocoa spice with a great fruity nut finish. Wow! I'm impressed.

At the end of the 1st third The ash is still hanging on strong and the spice backs off a bit and the flavour of dark chocolate develops into a rich cocoa/espresso and takes over, with a light vanilla, fruit in the background. I get a pleasant nutty caramel finish, I cant help but retrohale with almost every draw. 


The final third the flavours and aroma remain the same, but the spice comes back and I find myself feeling like I'm smoking a a dark chocolate covered cherry hazelnut candy, that someone rolled in cinnamon. 

There is a great flavour of leather that comes in towards the end and the cigar finished nicely down to a nub. with a leathery, cocoa, cedar.  This was a great cigar.

The construction was incredible, the burn was perfect, no touchups, and the flavor and aroma were great.

I would have been impressed with this cigar if it were rolled in Nicaragua, wrapped with a pretty band and put in a beautiful cedar box with exciting graphics and a fancy name.  
The fact that it was hand rolled on a desk in a store in Buffalo, (Depew) NY and handed to me is simply amazing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment